Original Sanctuary (erected in 1891)
The history of Hood United Methodist Church began some years prior to 1891 when the present building was erected.
Hood United Methodist Church was established as a Methodist Episcopal Church in the late 1800's by "Uncle" Lindsey Robertson, who pastored the congregation until his death. Circuit riders (clergyman who traveled on horseback from church to church) then took over the church until 1891 when Rev. Darby started holding regular services, first in the old Baptist Church building and then in the Congregational Church building. Reverend Hervey Smith spaded the first shovel of dirt for the building. The foundation was laid by D.N. Kitchen and Sons, and bricks were furnished at cost from the Britain Brick Yard in Republic.
After the Sanctuary was complete in 1891, it was dedicated and named Hood Methodist Episcopal Church in honor of W.E. Hood who had donated the most money for the construction fund.
Asbury Hall (erected in 1953)
The first Sunday School class of 100 members was started by Reverend Smith in July 1892. In 1953, an education building was completed and named Asbury Hall.
Picture of Asbury
Bridges Hall (erected in 1986)
In 1985, a larger education building was started and dedicated in March 1986 as Bridges Hall in memory of Mr. & Mrs. Otto Bridges.
In 1986, the Greene County Historical Society declared Hood United Methodist Church as a historical site. Hood is the oldest original church building in Republic still in use.
Christian Life Center (erected in 2000)
In 2000, the Christian Life Center opened, doubling the space available for attendance, education, and fellowship. As a multipurpose building the Christian Life Center also provided new capabilities for recreation, concert events, and contemporary worship.
The Lighthouse (purchased in 2013)